An unexpectedly large and enthusiastic crowd turned out for the first meeting on the Comprehensive Plan update May 2. However, some there worried that interest will wane with the process that will last into 2018. Find full coverage of the meeting in the print or online editions.
Pickens County elected officials have stated that anyone interested in unincorporated Pickens County may serve on the stakeholders committee. Elected officials from Jasper and other cities will be able to choose committee members representing the cities.
Many thanks to Judge Wigington and his staff for putting together this online form below to be filled out if you are interested in being a committee member. Please click on this link below and fill out the form on or before May 19.
The May 2 kick-off meeting was a successful start – we were glad to have approximately 45 participants.
· Please fill out this survey www.nwgrc.org/pickens if you haven’t already completed it. The survey will be active until the end of May – we are glad to have already received about 600 responses!
· If you would like to read portions of the current comprehensive plan, adopted in 2008, please go to http://pickenscountyga.gov/about/
· Although it will be one document, there can be separate chapters for Pickens County, all cities, and unincorporated communities.
· Even if you cannot serve on the committee, all input (survey responses, emails to me, etc.) will be useful in developing the plan.
· Once the stakeholder committee has been formed, future meetings will be scheduled. The committee will meet about once every 4 to 6 weeks. These meetings will be open to the public.
The draft plan must be ready by March 2018. The draft plan will then need to be recommended for approval by NWGRC and the State Department of Community Affairs. The final plan needs to be approved by all local jurisdictions on or before June 30, 2018.