Get Adobe Flash player

Dragons torch Chattahoochee for 54 points in season opener


     The Dragons got their season off to a good start on Friday night when they traveled to Johns Creek to take on the Chattahoochee Cougars and came away with a 54-30 victory. The Cougars won the coin toss and elected to receive the opening kickoff and after a couple of costly penalties they were forced to punt the ball to the Dragons. On their first offensive play of the season the Dragons surprised everyone when they went with a trick play and threw a double pass. QB Jacob Brumby threw a backwards pass to C.J. Streicher,  who

completed a 51 yard pass down field to Trevon Hawkins to set them up with the ball on their own 13 yard line. Two plays later Streicher punched it in from one yard out and gave the Dragons the early 7-0 lead after a Michael Burrell PAT.

The Cougars came back and pushed the Dragons defense down into their own red zone before Michael Burrell was able to strip the ball and recover it from the Cougar QB after a long run and put the ball back in the hands of the Dragon offense. They would unfortunately fumble it back to the Cougars on the next play, but not to be outdone the Dragons caused and recovered a third fumble in three plays as Zach Swaim forced and Chase Jarrett recovered the Cougars miscue and put the Dragons back in control of the ball.

The Dragons proceeded to meticulously drive the ball down field on their way to another touchdown and the big play came when Brumby connected with Zach Goss on a Post for 30 yards and put the ball down at the Cougar 11 yard line. On the next play Brumby would find Goss again for an 11 yard touchdown and a 14-0 lead. Chattahoochee would quickly fight their way back as they managed to score in two plays after a long pass and a long run, they would miss the PAT though leaving the Dragons with an eight point lead at 14-6. After another Dragon fumble the Cougars would capitalize again on a QB read play that cut the Dragon lead to 14-13 early in the second quarter.

The Dragons would be forced to punt on the next drive and the Cougars would take advantage. They were able to get the ball into Dragon territory, but the defense held strong when Jay Jones broke up a pass on third down and forced a field goal attempt, which was good and gave the Cougars their first lead of the night at 16-14. The lead though was short lived when on the second play of the drive Robert Davis took the ball around the left end and was gone for an 80 yard touchdown and gave the Dragons back the lead for good at 20-16. The defense forced a quick three and out and gave the ball back to the offense with one more chance to score before the half. Davis got the Drive started with a 26 yard run then got the ball just past midfield and on the next play Brumby connected with Goss again for 32 more yards and set them up inside the 10 yard line. On fourth down with only 15 seconds left in the half the Dragons scored their fourth touchdown of the half when Brumby found Alex Snelgrove open in the end zone for a 5 yard touchdown pass and a 27-16 halftime lead.

The Dragons got the ball to start the second half and didn’t take long to get the scoring started as Robert Davis caught the kickoff and scampered 94 yards for a touchdown and extended their lead to 34-16. After another three and out and another Cougar punt, the Dragons took over on the 18 yard line. On the first play of the Drive Trevon Hawkins took the ball straight up the middle to an 82 yard touchdown and putting the Dragons up 41-16 early in the third quarter. The Dragons offense wasn’t done, on their next possession Brumby found Goss again for 40 more yards, which set them up on the 5 yard line where Davis would score his third touchdown of the game putting the score at 47-16 in favor of the Dragons.

The Cougars would not quit though, and managed a 10 play drive the spanned 70 yards before the found the end zone and cut the Dragon lead to 47-23. The next Dragon offensive possession ended with a fumble that set the Cougars up with good field position. On their first play of the drive the completed a quick screen to a wide  receiver who burst up field and scored a 46 yard touchdown and making the score 47-30 Dragons. The 

Continued and stats on 2B next offensive possession the Dragons got back on track and put together a seven play drive that resulted in another Trevon Hawkins touchdown and pushed the lead to 54-30 as the fourth quarter was underway. The Dragons defense would come up big when Kaleb Ray was able to intercept the Cougar pass on the first play of the drive putting the ball back in the hands of the offense. The next defensive possession would end the same way for the Dragons as Jay Jones jumped in front of a Cougar pass and effectively sealed the game for the Dragons and the 54-30 victory to start the season.