Get Adobe Flash player
Paid Advertisement
Paid Advertisement
FacebookTwitterRSS Feed

Family narrowly escapes burning house

fire-picCounty Fire Marshal / Photo
    A mother and two adult sons “just did get out” of this burning home Monday on Dry Pond Road.
    Homeowner Ruthell Cornett and her two adult sons of Dry Pond Road in west Pickens narrowly escaped a fire that completely destroyed their home Monday night.
    Fire Marshal Curtis Clark said Ms. Cornett suffered some minor injuries exiting the burning home through a bedroom window. He thought she may have cut her hands and arms breaking the glass to get out.

    This marks the first time in recent years that a Pickens homeowner has been injured in a blaze.
    Clark said Ms. Cornett told him she was awakened by the heat and sound of the burning home. None of the occupants could reach the door and had to take other escape routes.
    “It is fortunate they had other ways to get out,” Clark said. “They just did get out.”
    The home did not have smoke detectors, which may not have made much difference in the ultimate destruction of the house, but it would have definitely given them more time to get out, Clark said. 
    The day following the fire, Clark said he had not ruled on a cause, though the homeowner indicated the home had some electrical problems.
    “It will probably be electrical,” he said. “I know they had some issues.”
    Red Cross was meeting with the family, who did not have insurance, on Tuesday.
    “It totally destroyed the home,” Clark said of the longtime residence. “There was nothing standing. They lost all their possessions.”